I had a LOVELY trip to a local art store yesterday (Preston Art Center, for you local peeps) and couldn’t resist picking up more NeoColor II crayons. Have you played with these yet?? I just love them – they are so vibrant and I really like that you can color directly on your project and add water, or color on a craft mat (my usual choice) and use them more like traditional water colors.
But, back to Preston. They had a whole rainbow of colors for sale individually – it made me do a little happy dance. Literally. I knew I’d need a larger tin/box to store them in as the starter set I got a few years ago came in nifty tin….with no room for growth. I looked around the store and found some really nice pencil cases…for $15. And then I got to thinking about my stash of containers I want to “someday” alter. I decided to head home with my new little gems and see what I had that might could work…and guess what:
I found this cute little box – which I think originally housed a cord of some kind. Pretty fancy. It has a drawer with a metal pull and a hard plastic see-through window (Which is why I couldn’t throw it out and tucked it into my “someday” pile.)
Now, I use ModPodge for my glue of choice on most of my mixed media projects. I’ve also used gel medium – but I find it thick, stiff and really sticky – and it dries even faster than the ModPodge, giving me very little time to make any adjustments should I need to (and, let’s face it: I need to A. LOT.) Plus, I really like the finish on the matte MP.
I added a few layers of the pattern, building up the texture. Because the sewing pattern is basically tissue paper, it does have a tendency to wrinkle a little – it will flatten out some when it dries, but it does have some wrinkles. I’m OK with that.
I have to admit: I liked the graphic texture and was tempted to just leave it. But, i couldn’t reaaallly stop there. I colored in the top slightly, letting some of the pattern show through. I scribbled directly on the top, using my finger with some water on it to blend most of it. I left some pretty rough, allowing it to look like a crayon:
It’s was a bit tedious, as the neocolors are, well, watercolors and are therefore water-based…so using ModPodge over the color smears. So, I took a small square brush, dipped it in the MP ran over the color, added the tag and another layer of MP, being careful to clean the brush after each swipe. I love the effect of the color smearing over the white label as I added the MP:
Finally, I did some doodling on top with my favorite Scarlet Lime pen (I will be sooo sad when it runs out – Christy has no more in her store!!), and added a half of a doily colored to match and some Thickers, to cover the little white graphics on the window:
Hope this little project inspires you to pull something out of your “someday” pile and just create. Make it a great week!